Monday, March 7, 2011

Author Interview with Ramona Wray

It is my honour to welcome the wonderfully talented and incredibly sweet Ramona Wray for a Q&A session with us all today!

You can read my review of her fantastic novel: Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale HERE!


What sparked the idea behind Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale?
I was watching that old TV series 'Bewitched' with Elizabeth Montgomery and laughing as usual at Darrin's cluelessness, and I sort of thought, you know, randomly, 'I should write a story about a witch.' But the actual idea for Hex came to me in the shower (I get my best ideas in the shower:) 

I applaud you on your incredible talent. You're Romanian and have a published book written in English, which is told in such a fun, addictive style. Did you ever accidentally slip up while writing and have a half-English, half-Romanian paragraph?
Thank you! But to answer your question, no, not really. To be able to write in a foreign language you have to make it your own, so to speak. You need to think, feel, and express yourself in that language as if it were your native tongue. And I guess, in my case, that became possible when I stopped speaking Romanian. (I mean, I still do, on the phone -from time to time- with my family.) But my husband is English, my son only speaks English, as do all my friends. And every language has its own pulse, its unique 'taste'. There's no way I could mix Romanian and English, they're just too different.

Are you anything like the main character, Lily?
Well, I'm not a witch (in spite of my husband's suspicions:). But do I turn to sarcasm to hide when I'm hurt? Sure, I believe a lot of people do it. I rely on my instinct a lot, too. And just like Lily, I'm a master at rationalizing everything - I twist and turn it around in my head until it makes sense (even if, very often, that 'sense' has nothing to do with reality).

Do you have any fun behind-the-scenes facts about Hex? (scenes that didn't make the cut, inspirations for particular scenes, funny stories about something that happened while writing, etc).
Oh, I'm constantly writing more than goes into the final draft! When I'm in the initial phase of a new project I scribble all these pieces of dialogue and anecdotes on post-its which I stick on furniture all around me - this is just to get to know my characters. So I did a lot of that with Hex, too. Also, I used to write after dinner (at the dinner table, while my son and husband were still eating) and more than once, when my husband addressed me, I would say, 'Look, Ryder, I'm in the middle of this...' My husband's name is Steven, fyi :)


Do you have any upcoming projects in the works you'd like to share?
Yeah, I'm in the post-it stage with a new story, which I'd very much like to set in Romania. I'm still getting acquainted with the characters but, you know, it's coming ... It will be an urban fantasy, and I aim to finish it in the summer.

If you can take any character from your book and spend the day with them, who would you choose and what would you get up?
Ooh, I don't know. I think J is an interesting character. I'd have a blast going shopping with her.

In a dystopian future where books are banned *horror* - which three novels would you risk your freedom to save?
'Sense and Sensibility', by Jane Austen.
'The Alchemist,' by Paulo Coelho.
'Before I die', by Jenny Downham.

Thank you so much for sharing your time and answers, Ramona! I urge all you wonderful readers to go out and buy her book today, you won't regret it ;)

You can purchase Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale from Amazon 

Follow Ramona:

3 comments:

  1. Great interview! I can't wait to read her book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first interview! :) I loved her answers! Can't wait to read Hex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for having me, Brodie :-) It's been epic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates