Sunday, March 6, 2011

Review: Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale

Author: Ramona Wray
Release Date: Already on shelves
Publisher: CreateSpace

Like most girls at Rosemound High School, seventeen-year-old Lily Crane is acutely aware of Ryder Kingscott. Hands down the cutest guy in school, Ryder is cool, mysterious, and utterly untouchable…especially for Lily. For when she touches someone, Lily instantly learns all about their lives. And while such a skill might seem nifty, in truth it is wrecking Lily’s life. So she is shocked when Ryder asks her out — and even more shocked to discover he has a rival. Lucian Bell is the gorgeous new kid who can’t take his eyes off of Lily. Being pursued by two hotties should make a girl happy, but Lily is skeptical. The boys act as if they’ve met before, hating each other with a passion that could only be rooted in a dark, dangerous past. A past full of terrible secrets. The kind of secrets that could get a girl killed.


I read the first chapter of Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale on Ramona's website (you can too HERE) and knew straight away I was going to love this book!

Lily is branded the freak girl in her town. People avoid her touch like the plague. Why? Because Lily is a witch. She won't make you sprout boils (although if you piss her off I'm sure she'll find a way!) or turn you into a toad with her touch, but she'll know every last one of your dirty little secrets. With the lightest of touches, Lily learns an entire persons life and sometimes can see part of their future. Right before she passes out. So she shies away from touching anyone (meaning no boyfriends) and it's not like many people want to get close enough to touch her anyway. Besides her best friend, J, the general school population don't have much to do with her.

Along comes Ryder. Sexy, mysterious, everyone-wants-to-take-that-hottie-for-a-RYDE (yes, I know I'm lame!). He's been lurking in the shadows for a year now, but suddenly he wants to know her. Wants to take her to Prom. And the weirdest (best) part for Lily? His touch has no effect on her. Well... not entirely true. Increases her pulse rate? Yes. Induces visions and knocks her out? Nope. She feels this strong attraction toward him and it doesn't take long before she's head over heels. But suddenly there's another mystery boy on the scene. Lucian Bell. Who J is totally crushing on but he's clearly not interested. He only has eyes for Lily.

You might be thinking - "Right. I've seen this love triangle a million times before". Oh really? WRONG. You have not seen this love triangle before. Because Ramona weaves a together a unique mythology with a cast of characters who share a deep connection and a terrible burden that has spanned the centuries. It soon becomes clear to Lily that both Ryder and Lucian are connected in some way, a potentially supernatural-way, and it involves her. I thought I had it all figured out where the plot was leading in the beginning, but boy was I wrong. Ramona throws in a twist halfway through and I'm like "What?!" Did not see that coming! And from there on in doubts begin to grow. Confusion. Lily's instincts are telling her one thing, but the cold-hard truth is screaming another. She doesn't know what to believe and her feelings may lead to her own death. I wasn't sure what to believe either and I had to use all my will not to quickly flip to the back of the book to peek at who the good guy was! (I've done that in plenty of books, bad me). I'm so glad I didn't spoil it though!

I loved Lily's voice. She's a great, snarky, funny character who isn't afraid to stand up for herself or demand for answers. You could probably flip to any page in the book and find a witty one-liner from this fiery redhead. All the characters were great. Ryder and Lucian, the two gorgeous boys. Despite what may or may not have happened in the past, I was still rooting for Ryder. He's so devoted and honest in his feelings for Lily and even though he physically cannot tell her everything she needs to know, he still tries. With his smexy looks coupled with his patience, protectiveness and general sweetness, you can see why I preferred him over Lucian. Ah, Lucian. I'm not quite sure how I felt about him! I think I like him, then I don't. Then I definitely don't and then holy crap, that can't be happening! I was so sad for him :(

The ending was bittersweet. I got a little emotional with how it all panned out, but having said that, I think it was a perfect ending. Besides, don't the best endings evoke the most emotion? I definitely recommend you give this a read. Not only is it a great book, but a self-published one! I strongly admire authors that can get out here and make their dream happen even without a big time publisher behind them. And I've already seen buzz spreading for Hex, A Witch and Angel Tale throughout book blogs. I wish Ramona all the success! :)


Rating: 4.5/5

5 comments:

  1. The cover is so cute! From that I would never have expected a bittersweet ending, so thanks for the heads up. Lily sounds like a great character - nice to see a heroine that can stand up for herself! Lovely review, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I like your blog. Found you via Books at Midnight Saturday Network! Popping it into my feeder now! Cheers!

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like! Great review! Love the unique mythology within the love triangle! And of course, the cover is so cute! How could I resist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ramona has got to be one of the sweetest authors I've ever met. I featured her a few weeks ago on my blog, and even though I told her I probably wouldn't have enough time to read and review Hex in the near future, she sent me a copy to read for fun anyway!

    I totally agree with you on endings...the best ones are the ones that get some sort of extreme emotional response out of me, whether it be laughing, crying, or throwing it across the room!

    P.S. I totally cracked up after reading your "Ryder" joke. Corny, but still funny! Lol. And I'm adding your blog to my blogroll. I've only been a follower for a day, but I LOVE your review style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks really great! Well, honestly, i thought at the beginning it sounded... okay because it feels like it's been done before, but your reassurance that the love triangle is fresh and Lily's voice rocks (definitely a good sign!) so now this is on my wishlist! thanks so much for the review!
    and thanks for dropping by my blog via Sat. Network :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates