Friday, April 15, 2011

Review: Cascade

Author: Lisa T. Bergren
Release Date: June 1st 2011
Publisher: David C. Cook
Add it: Goodreads
Mom touched my underdress—a gown made six hundred years before—and her eyes widened as she rubbed the raw silk between thumb and forefinger. She turned and touched Lia’s gown. “Where did you get these clothes?”              

Gabi knows she’s left her heart in the fourteenth century and she persuades Lia to help her to return, even though they know doing so will risk their very lives. When they arrive, weeks have passed and all of Siena longs to celebrate the heroines who turned the tide in the battle against Florence—while the Florentines will go to great lengths to see them dead. But Marcello patiently awaits, and Gabi must decide if she’s willing to leave her family behind for good in order to give her heart to him forever. 
Note: Because this won't be out until June and also since it's the sequel, I tried not to give away any major plot points or spoilers!

Wow. What can I say? The River of Time series has become a favourite of mine. I absolutely loved Waterfall and I can say that the sequel does NOT disappoint. In fact, I may even be willing to say it's.... even better than the first book! Which, if you've read the glowing reviews for Waterfall thus far, you know that's saying a lot.

The She-Wolves of Siena have returned. Gabriella and Lia Beterrani make the journey back to the 14th century with another Beterrani in tow this time - their mother. They've only been back in the present time for about half an hour, but due to some weirdness in the space-time continum, to Marcello and everyone else back in the past, it's been almost three months since Gabi and Lia last left. Despite what they achieved at the end of Waterfall, things are more dangerous than ever. They are on the brink of a war and while the Beterrani sisters are revered as heroines amongst the Sienese, their enemies want them with just as much passion.

The stakes are raised even higher in Cascade and Lisa Bergren does not step down from the challange. Not only is there a rising threat of a direct attack from the Florentines, but a new danger is beginning to rear it's head among them all, one that can't be thwarted by swords and arrows - the Black Plague. Throughout the whole novel I was on the edge of my seat! The danger increases - the girls get themselves stuck in such sticky situations and you honestly have no idea what's going to happen next. Whether they'll be captured, tortured or even make it out alive and while I know deep down the girls can't die (it's their saga, afterall!), that doesn't stop my heart from racing with apprehension. Lisa knows how to build the suspense and uncertainty!

And that's not all she excels at. Yeah, I'm talking romance now, folks. Oh my... Marcello and Luca - I ADORE!!! I loved them both in Waterfall, but they somehow managed to burrow their way even deeper into my heart this time. I don't know who I love more.... can I just have both gift-wrapped for Christmas, please? Marcello and Gabi's relationship is further intensified throughout Cascade and due to the fact that near-death battles seem like an almost daily experience in his era, they recognise how easy they could lose one another. And how strong their love is. They have such a great relationship, it's genuine attraction and a deep, respectful bond.

I just have to throw a little quote out there that is SO true: "Marcello. Luca. They're men, Lia. Not boys. It takes guys at home another ten years to have the maturity that these guys have." 

There's always a growing attraction between Luca and Lia. Well, Luca has plainly declared his swooning for Lia, but she's a little more stubborn to give into the way we're all sure she's feeling! Because how could a girl NOT fall for Luca? This guy still manages to lay on the charm with a grin on his face even while he's incapacitated or in the middle of deadly battle. Lia is the most reluctant to give up life in her own time. Gabi wants to stay - she's found love, true love in this era with Marcello and she doesn't want to leave. But she won't sacrifice losing her family to stay. She's so torn between the people she loves - can she convince her mother and sister that staying in an era where she's both worshipped as a hero and hated with cold fury, is a good thing for them all?

Cascade has everything a great book should have. Romance, intrigue, danger, treachery and action. Action the way it SHOULD be written, full of peril and suspense and uncertainty. This series will take your breath away, with characters who'll fast become your friends and an adventure through time that will have your heart pounding alongside our heroines. I cannot recommend these books enough, if you haven't already read Waterfall - what are you waiting for!? Go, go, go!

Rating: 5/5

8 comments:

  1. My jealousy: LET ME SHOW YOU IT.

    Thanks so much for boosting up my excitement for Cascade -- I didn't think it was possible to do. This sound so fantastic and I can't wait to dive into it! Great review, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not reading your review yet because I am totally planning on reading this series, and I wish to remain spoiler-free. But I am really, really happy that you enjoyed it! I'm even more excited than I was before. Your enthusiasm is always so infectious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, you've definitely sold me on the romance in this one!! This series looks amazing! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waterfall and Cascade are getting such good reviews on Goodreads! I'll definitely be reading them because you love them so much and I totally trust you. The only issue is that I have so many other books to finish first!

    If I don't like them, I'm coming after you Brodie! LOL I kid, I'm not as pschyo as you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your review! I know I'm not supposed to be reading this but...I just can't resist. Your reviews are too enthusiastic to not read. :)
    And seriously, you've made me crave. 'Cascade has everything a great book should have. Romance, intrigue, danger, treachery and action. Action the way it SHOULD be written, full of peril and suspense and uncertainty.' Not that is what I call an intense way of making me want to grab a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the glowing review, Brodie! I love that you are almost as much in love with this series as I am... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! You said everything I was hoping to hear :) I can't believe how much I love this series.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates