Friday, January 20, 2012

Review: Fracture

Author: Megan Miranda
Release Date: Already out!
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Add it: Goodreads
Buy it: Amazon / Book Depository
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine

—despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.
11 minutes can change a life forever. Especially when you're deprived of oxygen and your heart stops beating. Delaney Maxwell should not be alive. She should not have survived those 11 minutes spent underwater when she slipped on a fragile sheet of ice. But somehow, by some miracle or bursting need for survival, she came back, defied science and lived. Megan brilliant explored the ramifications of this not only on Delaney, but every person in her life. From best-friend Decker, who fought desperately to save her, to her mother, who in the aftermath of the accident begins to wither away on the inside. Scarier for Delaney is a terrifying new ability to sense when a person is dying. And so enters a mysterious boy named Troy, who also shares her gift. A boy who will make her question life, death and whether taking a life is a kindness or murder.

I don't now how Megan did it, but she rendered such a bond between the reader and protagonist. The emotions were so rich. From her pain and fear, worry and desire, as Delaney's world crumbled down around her, I felt everything alongside her. It's one thing to sympathise with a character, but Megan put me right into Delaney's shoes from the moment she slipped on the ice. You have those Mary-Sue characters who are just flat, with no personality, nothing to stand out, yet everyone views them as a shining star.  But Delaney felt like a very real, flawed teenager. With personality. She's highly academic and motivated and yes, she sometimes made some stupid snap decisions, but I understood her motivations behind every one of them. I enjoyed watching as she viewed and questioned the world and how those thoughts began to change over time, as her experiences post-accident changed the girl she once was.

I adored the cast of secondary characters. Decker in particular. His relationship with Delaney was pitch-perfect. Megan captured the emotions boiling beneath the surface without them ever really having to say it aloud. She nailed the highs and lows and in-betweens. Their fights and their banter, their sweet friendship and the complicated possibility and impossibility of something more. You want to tear at the pages when Decker just doesn't get it, or else scream at Delaney when he does get it and she walks away. You could feel that strong bond of friendship between them to the point where you want to hop inside the book and laugh with them, nudge against their shoulders or just push their faces together so they'll kisskisskiss already!

Troy was a complicated character. He's there in the shadows, always lurking, always presenting a dark and enigmatic vibe. He's someone you can sympathise with at times, yet he will deeply frustrate and maybe even scare you. It's safe to say he is pretty messed up. He's been through a traumatic ordeal of his own, but what differs him from Delaney is how he's dealt with things. He lost much more than she did from his brush with death and that depression and loneliness within him has affected him in a pretty significant way. His actions beg the question, can Delaney really trust him? 

While there were a few things I would have liked more neatly tied up in the end, there's no doubt that Megan knows how to weave together a compelling story. She knows how to make you care for her characters and become so invested in their lives that you feel like you're right inside the pages beside them. I loved how she makes both the reader and Delaney constantly question the many facets of death, of life, of living . Fracture is an addicting, haunting novel that will offer your mind food for thought and send your emotions spiralling down the same twisting rollercoaster as Delaney's. It's a story of life and death, learning when to let go and when to hold on, and how to rebuild when everything around you falls apart.

 4/5 Golden Apples!

21 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this one for months and it sounds so goooood! Oh my goodness... OK, seriously. YOU are why my TBR is out of control. It's your fault. You keep making books sound this bloody brilliant >:P

    I think I'm in love with Delaney. I don't want aperfect characters. Hell, I was speaking to Celine earlier, and saying I don't even need to *like* a character if they're well written, believable and layered... I can understand people making decisions I wouldn't, because when they're well written, they become real, and have their own personality. Like you said: you understood her motivation <3 this.

    And Troy sounds creeeeepy and unhinged... oh! It sounds like High School Musical XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one that I am dying to read! thanks for convincing me to move it up on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should be getting this book soon. Decker sounds like such a frustrating-but-sweet character. Anyway heard so many great things about this book and I can't wait to read it. Great review, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the contrast there seems to be between Delaney and Troy. He's used his powers *this* way, now how is Delaney going to use hers? Is he good? Bad? The psychology major in me wants to pick his brain! And if something more blossoms between Delaney and Decker I want to see that too <3

    Waaaant. Awesome review Brodie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaahhh..I got this one for review too so I can't wait to read it. I am so glad you enjoyed this. I am so intrigued with Troy (like Sarah said, sounds a bit 'High School Musical', LOL) but anyway, awesome review, Brodie!! Your review always makes me want to read a book as quick as possible!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOOOOOOOOOO! I accidentally read your review! Fabulous review, Brodie! I actually never thought of Troy as in High School Musical. Probably because I'd like to forget about HSM. :P

    It's a bit rare when I can safely say that a book has kept all of my attention. When I was reading this I could think of nothing else besides what was happening, what Delaney was thinking of or doing or seeing. Like you said, we really get into the head of Delaney and know her inside and out. Every emotion she felt, I felt.

    Decker! <3 I finally read the short story, Brodie! I'm glad I read it, even if it didn't shed new light on the ending. I like the way it was set out and I would PAY to read more in his perspective. I really love the relationship that D&D share. *sigh* I want to reread already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NEVER forget HSM! *hits play again* *sings* You Are The Music In Meeeeeee!

      Delete
  7. Thank so much for the review! I haven't actually read too many reviews for this one so I had no idea how good people were thinking the book was. I'm glad you really enjoyed the book and it sounds like the characters and storyline are both well-written. I'll have to take another look at it the next time I'm at the bookstore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed this :) I obviously disagree with some points but do agree on others! From all your LFANKAJFNIUASFB I was expecting a 5/5 LOL. Anyway, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reading about this book all over the place lately, thanks for the great review. It's definitely on my TBR list now!

    Cheers!
    ~Lia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you loved this one too!

    Decker!!!! I loved and wanted to hit him at the same time. You totally nailed it though - you want to make them both see what is right in front of them and stop all the drama. JUST KISS ALREADY!

    I loved that Megan captures Delaney trying to keep her head above water (so to speak) while everyone around her is pulling her back down because they are going under themselves.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked Delaney as well, I agree she was totally realistic--she felt like someone I actually knew. As for the rest of it, I wasn't convinced. I thought the plot degenerated and I wasn't a huge fan of Decker or Troy.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really really really really really reallly want this tnx 4 reviewing

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!! I'll admit that I didn't think much about this book at first because I'm a big cover girl and the cover for this one didn't exactly grab me at first sight -- but YOUR REVIEW! Oh my gosh, Brodie, it sounds soooooo good!!!! Delaney definitely sounds like my kind of heroine, and I just ADORE best friend romances so I know I'm going to love her romance with Decker! <3

    Amazing review, Brodie!! Seriously -- this book would've remained farther down on my TBR list for a very long time if not for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES! I've been looking forward to this one for AGES! I have to admit, when I first clicked on your blog today and saw "Review of Fracture" at the top, I was mentally crossing my fingers and hoping you liked it! So glad to hear that you did! I read Decker's short story that the author put on the book's Facebook page, and thought it was extremely well-written. I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eeee! This one sounds sooo good! I've had my eye on it and keep seeing it around and my fingers itch to buy it but now I may just HAVE to! Great review! I am so glad to hear that you liked it so much! Yeee! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I struggled to like Delaney. She was all right, but some of her decisions just made me roll my eyes and sigh. I did like Decker, though, and I agree the story was addictive! The ending was the only thing I was a little bit disappointed with - I would have liked more to have been wrapped up too. Glad you enjoyed this one, great review :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. 4/4 golden apples? Tasty! Addicting and haunting is my kind of story! Great, detailed review!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to bump this one up my TBR pile. I've been hearing lots of good things! I love how you described the relationship in this one. It makes me want to read it RIGHT NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Completely awesome review! Seriously, you brought up all my thoughts about it. So as you might guess, I agree wholeheartedly with every word! I'm so, so glad you liked it as well. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates