Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review: Obsidian

Author: Jennfer L. Armentrout
Release Date: Already out!
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Add it: Goodreads
Buy it: Amazon / Book Depository
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.
Three years ago, Katy's father died. A death that has continued to haunt her and her mother ever since. So they decide to pack up and move away from Florida to make a fresh start. The problem? They've moved to a town called Ketterman..... aka the middle of nowhere. Who lives in small towns like these? Apparently smokin' hot aliens do. Clark Kent would definitely approve with their choice of location. When Katy introduces herself to her next door neighbour, she's not exactly treated to a warm reception. Introducing Daemon Black. Shirtless. Mouth carved in a condescending smirk, with the right choice of words pouring out that make you want to punch him in the face. Such a charming fellow. He sneaks his way under both Katy's and the readers skin almost instantly. Perhaps the safest option would be for her to just ignore him?  Hard to do when his sister, Dee, is the sweetest thing ever, a girl who Katy immediately strikes a friendship with. And provides an iron-clad reason for Daemon, loyal protector of his twin sister, to make Katy's business, his business.

Katy is a protagonist SO many of us can relate to. I love the fact that she's a book blogger. How many times do we see this in YA novels? It was such a friendly little wave to see mention of In My Mailbox and Waiting on Wednesday, of Katy refreshing for new comments or dying of embarrassment when a certain alien watches her vlog. Aside from that, she's a character who's very easy to like. She's funny, tough and doesn't shy away from defending herself or taking a stand for those she loves, even if the odds are not in her favour. She certainly doesn't take Daemon's crap and I loved that she was able to put him off his balance sometimes. She didn't fall head over heels for him. You could see that attraction she held, reluctant as it was, but she didn't turn into a gooey eyed school girl. She pushed and pulled just as much as he did. While deliciously frustrating as that was, I admired her feisty spirit.

Daemon is... hmm, I suppose posting a puddle of drool doesn't eloquently describe my reaction to him? No? Fine then. He completely revolutionises the meaning of 'the boy next door'. He's cocky, arrogant, and quite often, a complete jerk. BUT. Beneath that is... yes, still a cocky boy, but there is a sweetness hiding behind that intimidating front and Jennifer brilliantly manages to explore his complexities. Many times we see the supposed 'bad boy' in fiction as broody and mysterious in the beginning, then when the girl gets her clutches on him he turns into a marshmallow. I like that Daemon doesn't completely shift in his personality just because there's a girl he may be falling for. There's a reason why he doesn't let people get close and those reasons don't suddenly change. His frustrating self is ever present right until the very last page. He's the kind of guy you want to simultaneously strangle and rip his clothes off. An enigma you're dying to pull apart layer by layer to see how that tasty balance of heart and douche fit together to form such an irresistible creature.

Damon and Katy were just downright SEXY in their attraction. They go back and forth so many times your head will spin from watching that cord of tension pull and tighten, pull and tighten, until you find yourself running at them, half crazed with a pair of scissors just to make it snap already! Jennifer makes you CRAVE for that long, long, long awaited kiss and when they finally do? Holy Green-Eyed Alien, it's HOT. But what's so seductive about this couple is not so much the physical, but the want of something physical. The desire. The emotions pulse off these two in waves, you can taste the need, the frustration, the reluctance, the affection and the not-of-this-earth sex appeal.

I've only read a very small collection of alien novels, but I quite enjoy them and Obsidian was no different. Jennifer's mythology was intriguing and there's interesting politics at play with a branch of the government, the Lux and some uber bad aliens of darkness who you really don't want to be alone with after sunset. Given events that transpired and the fact that Katy has gotten herself caught up in Daemon and Dee's world for a long while to come, I'm interested in seeing how the Department of Defense will intrude upon their lives in the sequel, because I have a feeling things may get messy there.

Obsidian is a thoroughly addictive novel with a protagonist that will compel you from the opening page and a love interest who demands you pay attention to him. It's steamy, witty, funny and keeps you on your toes every single page. Whether with verbal sparring, intense actions or sexual suspense. It is such an indulging read that you'll have difficulty setting down and even more difficulty waiting for Onyx, the sequel, to be released!

5/5 Golden Apples

Huge thanks to my wonderful amazing blogger friend, Kathy! I won this from her Christmas giveaway :) She endorses Brodie's need of hot boys. You should totally follow her.

33 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! Awesome review :) Can't wait for Onyx, omgosh.

    ~Mag @ Geek Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!! Halfway through, I rushed online to see when Onyx was released and groaned because we still have a few months to go. Patience is not my strongest trait haha.

      Delete
  2. Oh my. Heck!! You're right! I SHOULD read this asap! Someone please lend me a copy?? I love that Katy is a book blogger and the mention of IMM and WoW must be GOOD to read about! :) And the tension between these two lovebirds? *fans self* I waaaaant! :) But hell..you just made me want this to the point that I want to read it in the next minute! *glares* I want your reviews enthusiastic but not THAT enthusiastic! Kidding! :D I love your review, Brodie! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PRECIOUS!!!! Buahaha I would apologise for the enthusiasm, but... *oggles the cover* Daemon wouldn't appreciate my lying :P Hehe you must get a copy asap!! I think-hope you'll love it like I do. We both know you love a healthy dose of bad boy, so I suspect you may like Daemon :D

      Delete
  3. I hate you. WHY ARE YOU TEASING ME?! You know I won't be getting this book for another few weeks! *cries* I want to meet Daemon and jump into this KJNAKFJNAF plot right now! Booooo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cackles* You KNOW you love it, Lisa! And maybe I helped sway you into getting it even sooner, becausse you neeeeeeeeeeed to read this!

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOD. THIS SOUNDS FEAKING FANTASTIC!! HAHAHAHAHAHA your review just made my day! " simultaneously strangle and rip his shirt off" hahaha I so, so, SO WANT TO READ THIS<33 I LOVE how there are mentions of IMM and WOW!And Katy sounds exactly like the sort of heroine I love in YA books <3333
    And DAEMON<3333 I WANT TO MEET HIM NOW!!!! He sounds just as hot as Noah, if not HOTTER :DDDD I NEED TO GET A COPY NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was thinking 'more' than ripping his shirt off, but figured I should keep the review relatively clean :P And seriously, MORE heroines need to be book bloggers!

      Noah Shaw is in a legion of Hotness all of his own, but Daemon sure comes in the Top 5 Bad Boys!

      Delete
  5. Aaaa..I REALLY WANT TO READ THIS. I haven't read any books by Jennifer L. Armentrout, but I've got Half-Blood sitting on my shelf!!! And Daemon, *sigh* I'm already swooning even though I haven't read the book. All thanks to our dear evil overlord! :P Awesome review, Brodie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celine you must read Half-Blood and Obsidian, it's a crime if you don't:D

      Michelle

      Delete
    2. Buahaha your evil overlord is happy to please her minions :) And yes, what Michelle said - it's a crime if you don't read it!!

      Delete
  6. Yes! YEs! YES!!! Daemon is uber uber HOT!! Jennifer writes her boys beautifully. Totally awesome review:D Daemon is so not the green garden variety Alien, just ..somebody erase 20.... err years off me..well for starters, no need to add the rest..hehe! I have never wanted to have a fictional drivers licence so much as when I read about Jennifers boys. It was a long, long awaited smooch. I am so excited for Onyx.

    Team Paul ( hubby ) he knows and understands my fictional loves, he's a good guy:D

    My sons go Ewwww!! but ..meh!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha psssh, who cares about age?! It's just a number! And maybe the boys of YA are into the cougar / boy toy thing :P

      Hehe your hubby rocks <3

      Delete
  7. Gagh! So excited to read this book sometime. It looks sooo good and Daemon is SO HAWT. UNF! So glad you enjoyed it. Definitely means I have to aim to get my hands on it sometime. Always in love when the hot guy is shirtless. ;) CHYEAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Always in love when the hot guy is shirtless" - I think you just summed up the one thought shared by the entire female populaton :D But seriously, abs AND a hot personality? Why is ink and paper so 2D?!

      Delete
  8. This book is already on my TBR list, but if it wasn't, your review would have made me put it on that list anyway :)

    P.S. Could you please comment on this post: http://inabookshelf.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/youll-get-infected/

    It would mean a lot to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Glad I encouraged you even more :) And I commented on your post - good luck!!

      Delete
  9. Everyone has been RAVING about this book and the author. Damn these reviews . . . now I have yet another book to get! Awesome review Brodie! Thanks for making me lust another book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my copy sitting there for about a month, desperately trying to squeeze it in and AGH. I regret taking so long! Whew *fans self* One book you should definitely be lusty for, Erin :D

      Delete
  10. Omg, this review is bloody amazing! I think I enjoyed reading your review about as much as I would enjoy reading the book! And, ohhhh... a book blogger who bags herself a hot-yet-bloody-annoying non-human?! How awesome is that?! I can so imagine her being all "I read books! I blog about them! HE should be in a book!" I loooove it. I need this book now, please. Off to go hunt.

    P.S. "An enigma you're dying to pull apart layer by layer to see how that tasty balance of heart and douche fit together to form such an irresistible creature." <--- Best sentence ever. EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha aw gosh *blushes* Thank you, Joanne!! <3 And I KNOW, RIGHT?! The book blogger gets the smokin' hot paranormal guy for a change! This will eventually shift over to real life, right??

      Delete
    2. It has to! IT MUST! Armentrout must know something we don't! AND there's another book I picked up, The Vampire Hunter, where this girl who LOVES a paranormal series and is crushing over one of the male protags ENDS UP MEETING THE CHARACTER IN REAL LIFE! Ok, so I had to put the book down before I really got anywhere because I wasn't digging how immature everyone seemed, but still!!! Characters ending up being real, book bloggers getting close to paranormal guys... I'm sure the authors know something! It'll be happening to bloggers we know next, just you wait!

      And no problem! You have such an awesome way with words! :)

      Delete
  11. Oh, now I just wanna read it even more! LOL. I've been dying to read this and Half-Blood for quite some time now; both seem to be super good. And I love that she's a book blogger! That's so cool. And the sound of Daemon? I NEED to read this! Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell yes, Daemon is such a sexy jerk! <3 Jennifer is definitely making a name for herself already AND she has a whole bunch of sequels and new series coming out soon. How the heck does she do it?!

      Delete
  12. Alright, so I've been on the fence about this for a while as I didn't adore Half-Blood like I'd hoped I would. I've spoken to a few different people who have read this and they were all positive and seemed to love it, but I think THIS is the review that's finally convinced me to read it!!!! The review that's making me think, "Hmmm, perhaps all those guys are onto something and this really is a must read!"

    Incredible review Brodie--you've totally convinced me to read this <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely understand your uncertainty. I had a few issues with Half-Blood mainly because the VA similarities didn't sit too well with me. But this? LOVE!!! So happy my review managged to push you off the fence! :D Cannot wait to see what you think when you read it, Rachel!

      Delete
  13. I really liked Katy as a character too! Daemon was a bit too much of a jerk for me but I really enjoyed his interactions with Katy. Let's just say Jennifer can really write a romance scene! That's a really good point you made about bad boys reforming, I did like that Daemon automatically doesn't turn off his personality and stays true to it, no matter how infuriating it is. Addictive is the right word to describe it! I can't wait for Onyx. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Daemon is a character you either hate, love to hate or fall helplessly for his douchy charm haha. Sigh. I am apparently in the latter group. I can't help it - I'd TOTALLY avoid those kind of guys in real life, but fiction? I love me a bad boy. Super excited for Onyx, aswell!!

      Delete
  14. OK, I had HEARD Brodie... I mean KATY was a book blogger... but seriously! This sounds amazing! And you now have another boy to add to your harem :D

    Uhhh... seriously? *fans self* your review making me blush. I think you need a rating system... I mean, not a 5/5 golden apples sytem, I mean G/PG/M/MA/R kind of rating system. At the top of the review. Yes :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that Katy was a typo in the final manuscript and by the time they realised the error, the book was already in print. So they decided to change the name from Brodie to Katy. Can't deny I was a bit bummed about that =\

      Hahahah psssh, that was totally G. Maybe PG. I definitely could have gone R, though, but didn't want to taint your innocent mind :P

      Delete
    2. Duuuude... it's OK. What you... I mean 'Katy' and Daemon do behind closed doors? That's cool. You can keep it private :D

      *is slightly scared of your R rating O___O*

      Hehehehe XD

      Delete
  15. I haven't read many alien books either, but hey? Don't knock it til you've tried it, right? It seems like every other person in the book blogosphere is talking about Obsidian. **Sighs** Yet another book I need to read. Forehead? Meet wall. Lol.

    And I love the Clark Kent reference. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! Out of all the reviews that I've read, you're the only one who mentioned that Katy was a book blogger! That totally gave me an interest to read this book because I've never encountered a heroine being a book blogger.

    Leigh | Little Book Star

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates