Friday, May 18, 2012

Review: Disharmony

Author: Leah Giarratano
Release Date: May 23rd 2012
Publisher: Penguin Australia
Add it: Goodreads
Buy it: Fishpond | Booktopia
A psychopath... an empath... a genius.


Three siblings who will save the world – or destroy it.
They know nothing of each other. They know nothing of the Telling.
But they’ll need to learn fast if they’re going to survive...

A gripping new series about a collision of worlds, the power of destiny, and the darkness in us all...


With a synopsis like the above, Disharmony had me frothing at the mouth in anticipation. I admit, psychopath was immediately my trigger word.... it offers so much deliciously creepy potential! Unfortunately, Disharmony didn't entirely live up to my initial excitement. But don't despair: it's still an engaging start to what can grow into a compelling new series.

We're offered a few different POV's throughout the book, but the primary narrations are from siblings, Samantha and Luke. Twins, in fact. They just don't know it. Abandoned at birth, they were raised in two very different environments, oceans separate from one another. Sam was taken in by Roma gypsies who taught her their ways in fortune-telling, charms and schemes. I particularly liked the air of magic and sense of community, of home, that existed at the heart of her camp. A camp which housed an eclectic group of characters, including a horse-whispering boy who's long caught Sam's attention. She's also beginning to recognise that there's something much more special about her than just telling people their future... she just doesn't fully understand it yet. She's growing into her powers, which prove to be both scary and exhilarating for her.

Luke, on the other hand, was placed through the foster care system in Australia. He's gone from home to home, until eventually finding himself in a juvenile detention centre. And it's here where his story begins.... with a fist in his face. He hasn't exactly had it easy. But when one of the newer boys at the centre, Zac, takes an interest in Luke, his life is about to reach new levels of crazy... especially when Zac - a year younger than him and skinny as a rake - shows he can fight like a god. Luke and Zac develop an amusing sort of friendship, their banter providing some of the more funnier moments. A few times, Luke hinted he could be a mix of two roles in the prophecy. Although his label is soon made clear, I liked that he wasn't exactly stereotyped into the one role of either genius or psychopath, yet at the same time I wasn't always satisfied with how his lack of emotions came across.

A mysterious user known only as "Intellicide" begins the story, introducing us to the prophecy, sharing history on the siblings origins and the secret world that exists beyond human knowledge. While this helped give the reader a greater understanding of what's going on, since Sam and Luke aren't yet privy to this information, the problem is that the rest of the novel then feels like more of a set up. It's important to understand the lives Sam and Luke have lived and how they come together, but I was hoping this would only last for around half of the novel and then have us venture into new territory outside of what we already know. I still enjoyed their journey, I was just expecting something of a more epic proportion.

While they may be living on separate continents, one thing rings true for both siblings.... they're in danger. Facing persistent threats that are hell bent on taking them in, no matter the body count, will Samantha and Luke survive long enough to find each other? And where.... who, is the third sibling The Telling speaks of? Prophecies, danger and a hint of the otherworldly, Disharmony has enough appeal to cater to all YA readers; not dark enough to shun younger teens, but still enough edge to pull in the older audience. While it lacked a little to completely wow me, it still kept me turning the pages and has me intrigued enough to come back for the next installment.

3/5 Golden Apples!

23 comments:

  1. Aw, BOO. How could a book with the word PSYCHOPATH not be the single most amazing work of fiction EVER KNOWN? *sigh* Maybe it needs more psychopathy? I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!
    *pokes* And I volunteer Brodie *cackles*

    *cough*

    You know, I'm still crazy excited for this... I LOVED that first chapter, with the 'user' it hooked me instantly... but.. well, it's dissapointing the book doesn't have more meat of its own? I mean, a series setup is fine, but I want more from it to begin with?

    Wait... not that I actually want a meat book... like... a meaty book, but lentilly? Or tofu-ey? Instead of cow based? I WANT A NON-ANIMAL BASED MEATY BOOK, PLEASE.

    A N Y W A Y.

    I'm glad you still liked! I'm sorry it wasn't as fab as hoped, but STILL! WOOTEN! 3 APPLES IS EXCLLENT! AND GOLDEN APPLES EVEN MORE SO! ... though they don't look very tasty... and...

    oooh! SHINY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sarah, you do make me laugh! :D

      Delete
    2. I try! And every time I see the word 'psychopath' I get happy inside ^__^

      Delete
  2. I have this on netgalley or it may have gone poof ! by now.... hmmm..sounds intriguing...secret world, psychopath, zac can fight like a god, Intellicide ( well that's a big word right there..hehe!) I am still intrigued but I hear you. Wonderful, honest, inciteful review:D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear lordy! I have just worked out that is a girls head on the cover with the face darkened...I kept thinking it was like feathery bits..ha! Goes to show I wasn't looking very well...where are those glasses!!

    :D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seen this book around but it never really interested me. But nonetheless great review, Brodie! Though it's a pity this book didn't wow you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah = crazy. What the heck is she on about meat for? :P

    I'm still super excited for this! I can so see why the 'psychopath' keyword gave you more to expect so that you were a bit disappointed, but it's good that you see the potential. :) I'm kind of wondering what fills up all those pages though. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Brodie :) I was wondering if I should read this book or not. Looks like I wont be reading it straight away, maybe when I have less book screaming at me to be read, that's when I will pick it up and give it a try. Natasha @ Paranormal Goddess Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean by enjoying the story but expecting something of epic proportion!! Yes, the cover and the synopsis really did attract me. I like the idea of the siblings not knowing anything about each other and not knowing anything about the 'Telling.' It sounds mysterious and exciting! I'm just a little worried about it lacking a certain something.. but nevertheless great honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww dang! I really hoped this book would be kickass so it's a shame to see a 3/5 rating only! I haven't received my copy yet but...I'll keep my expectations low so that I can have the chance to be surprised ;) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, Brodie! It's a shame this book didn't live up to your expectations. I find it a little annoying when the first book seems to simply be a set up book, but it sounds even worse if you know everything from the beginning, and then wait for the characters to play catch up. Perhaps it would have been better to find out along with them. Sorry you didn't love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *likes Sarah's comment* ;) Bring on the lentils!

    Moving on! I'm pretty sure this is the first review I've read of this book Brodie, and you definitely have me intrigued! I like a good prophecy at the start of a story as it's interesting to see if it will be fulfilled. I'll give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sad it wasn't as epic as you thought it was going to be, but it does sound pretty damn interesting still. I'm going to have to look out for this one in the future, especially because it's about twins. I like twin stories.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHAHAHA I agree with Cass! Sarah = crazy. But we all love her :) <3

    Ehh....3 stars :( ? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It's a pity it didn't meet your expectations! I don't think Celine gave it a very high rating either :/ I've started reading it...and it's ahh...not really holding my attention :( I was expecting something EPIC like youuu...but I'm SO scared it won't meet my expectations either!
    Anywayy....I'm still glad you liked it enough to continue the series!!!! Fabbb review, as always Brodieeeeeeeee<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really like the synopsis of this one too - I'd never heard of it before your review! Three stars though...hmmmm...I might still check it out at some point. I'm kind of intrigued! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh interesting. Sorry it was a bit slow...I hate the first in a seriess that is more set up than anything else. I'd rather it just be half a book like you said. Still seems like a good book though, so I hope the rest of the series is good.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  15. So long as the book kept you going! I love when that happens because it doesn't make me feel stupid for continuing with the book. THERE'S A REASON why it's so interesting. Still, I'm a character girl and I can tell I'd have some trouble more than most getting through this one...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never heard of this book before but it sounds like an awesome set up to a story! I really like the title because it reminds me of harmony from angel and makes me think of trying to get the world together.
    Thanks for the informative review! I will definitely check it out.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  17. A horse whispering boy? Gypsies? Juvenile detention center? This book sounds SO up my alley. But ... three golden apples? I need to go see if this is available in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought this sounded pretty epic too, and I love a nice psychopath. Hello, Nick Ryves. Buuuuuut it sounds like this one was a little disappointing. It's a shame when a book just feels like a bit of a set up and you're sat there just waiting for it get going a bit more. If this were available over here, I'd prolly buy it anyway, but sadly it isn't.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  19. SIBLINGS!! *adds this one to TBR pile* Haha I have the biggest weakness for books with siblings in them (Exhibit A: Storm! Exhibit B: Hunting Lila!), so a trio of siblings where one is a psychopath, another is an empath, and another is a genius? That's just too awesome for words :') And you made your review so mysterious and awesome that the only three golden apples doesn't bother me as much as it might have -- I really want to know who this third sibling is! x)

    A-M-A-Z-I-N-G honest review as always, Brodie! :) Even though it's not a WOW-worthy book, it sounds pretty darn read-worthy! Thanks for warning me so I won't be as disappointed when I read this book! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Disharmony isn't a bad book. It just lacked the energy and excitement I craved from a storyline like this, as well as characters I genuinely cared about. I had some initial problems with the unnatural dialogue and repetitive "he said she said", but things eventually improved! All in all, this was an enjoyable and comfortable read.

    Hyacinth
    Car Accident Lawyers Website

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates