Thursday, August 16, 2012

Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover #2

There's no denying a beautiful cover helps influence our decision in buying a book. And hey, we're shallow creatures! So this is an opportunity to not judge a book by it's cover and solely by it's fantastic summary. Of course, no cover means that the release date is likely a long way off, but it's a chance to add it to your Goodreads lists and stay up to date when the exciting cover reveal does come!


This week's pick...

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
Release Date: May 7th 2013
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Never was a passing grade so important.

Welcome to the United Commonwealth – a group of 18 colonies in North America that survived the brutal effects of biochemical war and natural disasters. Every year the Commonwealth selects the best and the brightest graduates from each colony to be candidates for attendance at the University where they will use their talents to help restore the earth and help the Commonwealth thrive.

As the youngest graduate in the smallest colony, mechanically inclined Cia desperately wishes to be chosen for The Testing, but she knows her chances are slim. And yet – four are chosen and Cia is one of them. But her elation is short lived for her father believes the testing isn’t as it appears. Students who don’t pass are never heard from again and those that do move on can no longer remember what happened during those fateful days. Now Cia must decide who to trust and hope that her wits are enough not only to get a passing grade, but to keep both her and her friends alive.

My thoughts:

Colour me intrigued! The Testing sounds like an honour on the surface, something any academic student would strive toward achieving.... but dig a little deeper and the sinister secrest come to light! I WANT TO KNOW MORE. What exactly happens to the students who don't pass? Will Cia make it through? I'm very interested in learning more about the world-building too.

You can find Joelle Charbonneau at:

19 comments:

  1. Hmm... Not sure what to think of this... I mean... ‘Commonwealth’? In America? I don’t think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is obviously set in a dystopian future, so I imagine things have changed quite a bit from the present day America ;)

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of Legend- especially the part where "students who don’t pass are never heard from again" Sinceee i liked Lengend so much, I'll definitely give this a shot :DD

    Oh...and just something I can never get my head around: Of the millions of YA books out in the world, HOW COME I STILL HAVEN'T COME ACROSS A MAIN CHARACTER NAMED SHIRLEY?!?!?!? DO AUTHORS JUST...DESPISE THE NAME "SHIRLEY" SO MUCH?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. This book also reminds me of Legend. Also, the first book that came to mind when I saw the post title was Legend. Also, you share the same sentiment with my cousin. Her name is Royce. If there are Royce's in YA, they're guys - bad guys - and they're usually shot to death.

      Delete
  3. Commonwealth in America . . . interesting. Like you said, 'Colour me intrigued!!!!!!'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh yes please! I love the sound of this! I wonder what happens after the test. Intrigued doesn't quite sum it up for me! I can't wait to pick this up. :)

    But why must we wait?? WHY?! *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. -grabs a paintbrush and a can of "Bookishly Intrigued"- colours it on Brodie <3

    This sounds SOOO good! Reminds me of a couple other premises, but this particular combo of things really does make me want to read it.

    One thing. Sorry and excuse me to all American people, but this Canadian can't stand it anymore. I DON'T UNDERSTAND!! It clearly said, "North America", which is a CONTINENT! And a HUGE chunk of that continent, if you would kindly look at a map, is CANADA! D:<

    sorry. >_< Anyway, this looks super good! Can't wait to see the cover of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, I am so excited to read this book! It sounds AWESOME! Thank you so much for bringing this book to my attention, Brodie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, I LOVE this feature! While I have to admit that this novel seems to have similar elements to other dystopian picks, it definitely is very intriguing and I'm excited to know more - and see the cover! ;) Wonderful pick this week, Brodie! This is going on my TBR-Shelf for sure!(:

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the WORST culprit for judging a book by its cover! I'm such a sucker for cute and pretty covers.<3

    The Testing sounds like the kind of book that I wouldn't pick up upon hearing about it, but I'm sure I would enjoy when actually reading it.

    Great feature! I'm a new follower via GFC.(:

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fantastic! I love the ideas the author has come up with and can't wait to see what kind of story unfolds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah.. Judging a book by it's cover, I'm guilty! So I REALLY love this idea and I'm adding this book to my list. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oohers, sounds interesting! A bit Hunger Gamesy with the being chosen and all but definitely intriguing! You need to do a post once a few of these have covers so then we can have a look and see if our feelings are the same!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, this sounds intriguing. I wonder how it will all play out on the page. May 2013? Wow, that's a long way away! Good choice, B! And have I mentioned that I ABSOLUTELY ADORE this new meme. It's so clever and fun and different and your brain is so clever for thinking of it! Seriously, LOVE LOVE LOVE. Looking forward to your #3 pick :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. gr8 2nd pick . this sounds very sovjet ish. gr8 post brodie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to know more too! I love, love, love the sound of this one. I'm so curious about what happens to the students who don't pass (that scares me the most to be honest, hehe :P). Thanks for featuring this book! Definitely can't wait to read it :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds great! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. HOLY SHIT.

    Brodie, you are officially Queen of Dystpian. Or mayeb Master Commander. The Ruler? PICK AN APPROPRIATELY DUSTOPIAN TITLE AND RUN WITH IT. ME WANTY NOW NOW NOW.

    You know you're kind of evil, right? I was telling someone this morning that it's YOU who makes me buy all the books O__O

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do you find these awesome sounding reads that I have NEVER heard of?! I am intrigued and I can't wait to hear more about this one. The fact that even the people who pass aren't the same...SCARY!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Eleusinian Mysteries Copyright © 2012 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates